Covid Response Needed – Act Now!
Citizen Action has been convening the West Virginians United table to pull resources and provide a local, state, and federal response to the pandemic. Here is what we’ve been advocating for workers, families and our communities:
- Healthcare: Increase federal Medicaid match 12-15% so to help states cover increased healthcare costs for sick residents and newly displaced workers
- Food security: Bump SNAP by 15% as was done in 2008 recession. Make sure the WV Summer Foods program expands its reach and actually gets to kids in need.
- Housing: Keep families from being evicted and mortgages foreclosed for the duration of the pandemic.
- Kids & Families: Support childcare for workers and families, and funding and resources for our schools so that families who want to will be able to send their children back to school safely.
- States, Counties, and Cities need money to stabilize their budgets, and to keep public workers who provide essential services employed.
Although the House passed the HEROES Act in May, the Senate has yet to pass another relief and recovery package until now. Thus, worsening the growing health and economic crisis which is forcing families to forgo basic needs like food and healthcare, creating massive fiscal crisis for states and wiping out jobs and small businesses.
Now is the time to contact your Senators with these demands. If we go too small, it will prolong both the economic, health and social harms. What is needed now is a bold robust response that takes care of everyone, not corporations. Contact Senators Capito and Manchin using this handy link: https://tinyurl.com/DemandPeoplesBailout.